Public Forums

View latest posts View Archive

School advice

Situations July 11, 2022 16:47

I wonder if there is someone who can advise on what we should do. DS is at a underfunded school. Head has advised that he needs one to one to support with regulation in class and to help him focus.But also that there is no funding to provide it.

We are in the process of an echp application, however they have said he might get a fixed term exclusion if he hurts another child. ( As He has bitten someone ) , he is a lovely boy, Their words lots of empathy and he is popular and enjoying school.

He is used to everyone there and feels comfortable, it has been discussed moving him to a bigger school with more SEN provision.

However, it will break his heart leaving his familiar base and all his friends. It seems ridiculous that they know he needs one to one to access the learning and feel regulated, however can’t supply that.

I believe parents may have complained , but not 100% about that as everyone is very nice to us all.

What would you do in this situation ? We are not sure if we have some ability to legally challenge an exclusion when they don’t provide what he needs for his SEN.

The Pupil premium is being used for a Family and schools together session once a week, however great this is we would prefer one to one in the classroom.

AlisonAUK July 12, 2022 16:25

Dear Situations, So sorry to hear you're facing this really difficult challenge. In terms of the legality of an exclusion in these circumstances, I'd recommend speaking to IPSEA - they have an excellent helpline and will be able to explain your rights & how to advocate for them.

I think your instincts are sound - he is happy where he is and that's priceless. And it's not necessarily true that a bigger school would have better/more SEN provision. A bigger school will have more children with SEN and therefore more demands on support staff time.'s possible there could be a better school for him. So my advice is to do as much research as you can on mainstream and special school provision in your area. Word of mouth tends to be the best way of finding out the schools that work for children with SEN.

The other avenue is SENDIASS (previously known as Parent Partnership - a much better name!) Click here to find out whether there's a SeNDIASS in your area:

If you're not already involved, AUK community groups are all over the country and are a good way to meet others in your area with lots of relevant local advice. Click here to find out more:

Have you been in touch with the Virtual School? The job of your local virtual school is to help care experienced children who are struggling in education by liaising with you and your school. You can find out about how to contact your Virtual School on your Local Authority website.

Finally, every school in England should have a 'Designated Teacher' who is responsible for all care experienced children. Your school reception should be able to help you find out who that is.

Best of luck!


This topic is read-only. You must log in to reply.