Archived Forums

View latest posts View active forum

International Adoption Groups on Facebook?

IslandMama February 14, 2017 17:04
Hi Does anyone know of any Facebook groups specifically for British International Adopters? There seems to be a real gap for those of us pursuing international adoptions to be able to connect online, build community and share experiences. My searches so far have been unsuccessful and if nothing is out there I will go ahead and set something up. Let me know if you know of any group or if you're an International Adopter, in process or completed and would like to join such a group! :) Jessica
Edited 17/02/2021
pluto February 15, 2017 09:36
You need an agency to facilitate the adoption, can you not call them with your questions? When I adopted I got all info as what happened in country from an usa message board, the info which steps to take when specific from the agency. As intercountry adoption is not that commen in the uk (as uk children can be adopted) you are unlikely to find large groups, if you want to speak to individuals ask the agency to put you in contact with adopters of the country you want to adopt from.
Edited 17/02/2021
IslandMama February 15, 2017 14:37
Thanks I am aware of the need for an agency and the process involved here in the UK. I'm not really talking about a group for guidance on what the process is but rather more of an online community that enables us to connect with other international adopters to share experiences and encouragement in what is a very expensive, long winded and unpredictable process. In my experience the agencies here have not been very forthcoming with information on available countries and pretty much leave you to your own research. The research of which would be made much quicker if there was somewhere online to discuss and find direction from others who have already walked that road. There are similar style groups on Facebook that are country specific, which are incredibly useful for sharing information and experiences, but of course most of the members are American and we Brits are not always able to have our questions answered because the system, resources and support available in the US are incredibly different to here in the UK. It would just be great to have a group where we can easily discuss available countries, encourage others in their adoption journey, discuss orphanage delays and waiting child lists and how to keep the child's birth country alive.
Edited 17/02/2021

Archived

This topic is archived. New posts are not allowed.