Public Forums

View latest posts View Archive

Universal Credit and Housing benefit

Frankiejo April 12, 2021 03:38

My son is 28 and is back living with us. Most of the time things are ok. But he drinks quite heavily sometimes getting drunk and to be honest I am getting fed up with it all. He has ASD and he can sometimes get argumentative. Any ideas who we could get help from apart from AA.

He is on ESA benefit. We would like him to get his own studio/flat for independence and to give us a break. Does anyone know if we can find out how much universal credit and housing benefit (I believe they are linked together) he could get before applying officially.

We are not so young any more (69/72) and not able to cope with this any more.

Safia April 12, 2021 09:01

I’ve tried to post the link but it won’t do it - there’s an organisation called CASS which provides counselling for people with ASD - no idea how good they are just that they are specialist - you could also try the National Autistic Society who might be able to recommend. I believe there are online meetings for AA at the moment which he might find easier. My daughter has UC and had a very helpful person at the job centre who referred her for an assessment which gave her extra money as they deemed her unlikely to be able to work (she also has PIP) Someone like that could advise him. Also you could try the community learning disability team for your area - and in some areas they have a specific support service for adults with autism. Regarding rates the UC website might have that information

onlineteamAUK April 12, 2021 09:44

Hi Frankiejo,

Please contact our Helpline team and one of our skilled advisors will be happy to discuss your situation, answer your questions in more detail and point you in the right direction.

You can call them on 0300 666 0006 available Mon - Fri: 10.00 – 14.30 (excluding Bank Holidays) or email them at [email protected]
More information:

Best wishes, Online Team AUK

Bluemetro April 12, 2021 19:56

Regarding Housing Benefit if he is only on ESA you may still apply to the Council, but otherwise Housing Benefit paid from Universal Credit. This may be paid to him rather than the landlord unless that is specifically requested.

Unless he was in a house of multiple occupation there would also be other bills to pay. For Council Tax he could apply for Council Tax Support but may still have some Council Tax to pay-the amount varies with each Council. They may have a benefit calculator on their website. Also he would need to apply as soon as he moved into a property because there would be a limit to how far a claim can be backdated.

The local Council or County Council may have links on their websites to agencies who may be able to help or offer support.


This topic is read-only. You must log in to reply.